If you have the knack to make any Italian bread crumb recipe, you should consider how to make Italian bread crumbs. You use them as a topping, binding agent, thickening agent, or coating agent.
What makes homemade Italian bread crumbs stand out from the rest? It is because they are delicious and suit Italian-style recipes. Let us discuss more details on the breadcrumbs.
Why Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs?
You may find it easy to grab a can of bread crumbs from any shopping outlet than to make them at home. After all, it is a simple recipe. However, you should know the benefits of making your bread crumbs at home. What are the benefits?
- Most over-the-counter bread crumbs contain preservatives to increase their shelf-life. The preservatives are chemicals that you consume. If you make your bread crumbs at home, you reduce your chemical intake.
- You will pay more for an ingredient you can make with a loaf of cheap bread. So, when you make your crumbs from bread, you save money.
- Time is of the essence in the kitchen. Every second makes a difference. For this reason, you need to spend every moment constructively. So, making your bread crumbs at home helps to never run behind your recipe schedule as you hustle for the ingredient.
- Cooking is an art that requires a peaceful mind. So, making the Italian breadcrumbs at home reduces any worry that you will run out of your stock.
- When you make bread crumbs Italian style at your home, you observe hygiene. This statement does not mean that the over-the-counter breadcrumbs are unhygienic. However, you are responsible for cleanliness whenever you make your breadcrumbs at home.
Storing Italian Style Bread Crumbs
Do the Italian style breadcrumbs go bad? Yes. Like other varieties of breadcrumbs, you have to store your Italian breadcrumbs appropriately.
Storing Fresh Italian Breadcrumbs
Store your fresh Italian homemade breadcrumbs in an airtight container. If you do so, they will last for one week. Alternatively, use a freezer bag to pack and freeze them to preserve them for longer than one week. Notably, never refrigerate your fresh breadcrumbs because they go stale fast.
Storing Dry Italian Breadcrumbs
Use an airtight container to store your Italian homemade dry breadcrumbs in a cool, dry place. They will last for six months. For people living in a humid environment, refrigerating or freezing dry breadcrumbs prolongs their shelf life. However, prolonged exposure of dry breadcrumbs to moisture reduces their shelf-life.
Remember, always wait until your dry breadcrumbs cool before packing them in an airtight container. If you store warm, dry breadcrumbs, they can cause vapor to cool inside the container and make the crumbs wet.
Helpful Tips and Tricks for Italian Bread Crumbs
- Are you a learner chef wondering what kind of bread to use when making the Italian breadcrumbs? You can learn first how to make Italian bread crumbs from a plain variety of bread ranging from wheat to white bread. Also, look for bread with crusts.
- You do not have to buy fresh bread to make Italian breadcrumbs. The old pieces of bread you are about to dispose of can suffice your quest. Also, using old bread to make breadcrumbs prolongs the shelf life of the bread.
- If you keep watch of your salt intake, never refrain from reducing the amount of sodium or tweaking herbs you use when making your breadcrumbs.
- You can use a blender instead of a food processor to grind your dried bread.
- If you wonder how to make Italian seasoned bread crumbs from plain too-fresh bread, re-bake the bread for 20-30 minutes at 250 F (121.11 C). The bread becomes dry and toasty.
- If you use your breadcrumbs immediately, you do not need to freeze them. Instead, refrigerate them.
- Do you know that the best addition to Italian bread crumbs ingredients are seasoning herbs? You have the power to select herbs to use or the herbs you want to drop from a recipe.
What can you Make with Progresso Bread Crumbs Italian Style?
You can buy Progresso Bread Crumbs Italian Style from your favorite convenient Italian store. It is a crispy and crunchy texture that contains milk, eggs, sunflower, sesame, wheat, and soy. You can use the crumbs to make several recipes, including the following:
- Mini Italian meatloaves
- Bacon and sweet potato gratin
- Brussels sprouts cheesy casserole
- Baked corn pudding
- Crispy fish fillets with herbs
- Potato-topped meatloaf casserole
- Hidden veggie meatballs
- Fried chicken Bento
Can you Use Fresh Herbs Instead of Dried Herbs?
Do you know that you can make homemade Italian seasoning bread crumbs for any recipe? What is in seasoned bread crumbs? Some herbs that you can mix include sage, paprika, and marjoram, among other spicy herbs.
If you use your breadcrumbs immediately or soon, you can use fresh herbs. However, use dry herbs on breadcrumbs that you intend to store for a long time.
Which Kinds of Bread Crumbs can you Use?
Your breadcrumbs’ storage period depends on the kind of bread crumbs you use. Fresh breadcrumbs last for one week, while dry ones last for six months. You can also opt to use plain breadcrumbs like Panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs made with deep-fried foods) or plain breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning.
How to Store Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
If you know how to make Italian seasoned bread crumbs, it is surprising that the recipe does not require any cooking. Also, the recipe only takes a shorter time than expected (five minutes). However, using the appropriate storing method can make the breadcrumbs last longer than their preparation time.
You can use over-the-counter breadcrumbs and dry herbs to make your seasoned Italian breadcrumbs. Afterward, use an airtight container to store the breadcrumbs for one year.
Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs from fresh breadcrumbs and herbs require immediate consumption. Alternatively, you can freeze them in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to six months.
Substitute for Italian Bread Crumbs
If you do not have breadcrumbs, you can use Panko to make your Italian breadcrumbs. Both items serve a similar purpose. Also, you can use equal amounts of each item when preparing the Italian breadcrumbs.
You can roll bagged cracker crumbs using a rolling pin to your preferred texture.
Oats are gluten-free and healthy. Grind them using a coffee grinder or food processor to get your crumbs.
If you crush plain cornflakes, you will get a perfect substitute for breadcrumbs. So, use your hands or a rolling pin to break them into fine pieces.
This substitute is evident because it comes from dried bread. However, mind the flavor that you will select to ensure that your recipe does not taste different than you expected.
If you crush potato chips, you can use them instead of breadcrumbs. Similar to the Croutons, mind the flavor of the potato chips. However, the BBQ flavor can go well with your chicken recipe.
How to Make Italian Bread Crumbs
Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 3 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Calories: 160 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g (0.06 pounds)
Protein: 6 g (0.01 pounds)
Fat: 2 g (0.004 pounds)
Sodium: 683 mg (0.001 pounds)
Potassium: 115 mg (0.0002 pounds)
Fiber: 3 g (0.006 pounds)
Sugar: 3 g (0.06 pounds)
Calcium: 103 mg (0.0002 pounds)
Iron: 3 mg (0.000006 pounds)
- A large blender or food processor
- An airtight container
- A fridge or freezer
- 6 ounces (0.23 kg) old or dried out bread, buns, or rolls (approx. four to five slices of bread)
- 2 teaspoons parsley (dried)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (powdered)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
- Tear your bread into big pieces.
- Place the bread pieces in a large blender or food processor.
- Add dried herbs, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Process or blend to form fine crumbs.
- Use immediately.
- Refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.
The Bread End of It!
Forget about spending a fortune to get the Italian breadcrumbs. Making them at home is the best option.
Your chicken, seafood, pasta, or meatballs get tastier with Italian breadcrumbs. Whether you bake or deep-fry your recipe, the Italian breadcrumbs will make it stand out from the rest. So, it is time to crumb it the Italian way.