Italian butter cookies with cherry in the middle are a delightful part of many people’s lives. Their unique flavors and textures make the Italian butter cookies with cherries in the middle delicious. They are also called Butter Balls, and they are quite different from American cookies of the same name.
Italian Butter Cookies are popular in many Italian-American families. They are often served during special occasions, and especially at Christmastime. This recipe is very versatile, so you can find many variations of it all over the internet.
Let’s look at what goes into making these mouth-watering treats, and how to make them even better:
What is a Butter Cookie?
A butter cookie is a type of shortbread cookie amongst many of the famous Italian pastries. It contains only three ingredients: flour, sugar, and butter. The dough is very easy to make and doesn’t require any chilling.
These cookies are usually round or ball-shaped and have a smooth surface. They are a good choice to make for a party, a gathering of friends, or simply to have on hand when you need a quick and sweet snack.
Butter cookies have been around since the 1700s when they were made with chopped almonds or an almond meal.
What Does Shortbread Taste Like?
Many people describe the taste of a butter cookie as being a little sweet, a little salty, and a little nutty. The texture is also very important. Cherry Christmas cookies should be soft and chewy, not hard and crunchy. This can be achieved by using the right amount of sugar and butter in your recipe, and baking the cookies at the right temperature.
How to Soften Butter for Butter Cookies
Let’s now look at how to soften maraschino cherry cookies.
There are several ways to do this. One way is by sticking two (or more) sticks of butter in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds at a time until they are the right consistency (soft).
The less conventional method is leaving it out on the counter overnight or all day to reach room temperature.
A Recipe for Italian Cookies with Cherries on Top
Now that we know a little more about butter cookies let’s look at a recipe for Italian cookies with a cherry on top. This is a variation of the classic butter cookie recipe.
The dough is made the same way, but the cherry is placed on top before baking. You can use other small, dried fruits or berries to create different flavors and textures.
Here is what you’ll need for this recipe:
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar cherries to place on top
- Cupcake tray
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Wooden spoon or mixer with a paddle attachment
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius. Line a cupcake tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Melt the butter and stir in the almond extract in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once it is melted, turn off the heat and add salt and flour. Stir until well combined
- Pour the dough into a mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for about two minutes.
- Place a teaspoon of dough in each cupcake liner and top with a cherry. Keep the remaining dough chilled until you need it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top. Allow them to cool on a wire rack before serving.
That’s all there is to it! These cherry bonbons are delicious by themselves or with tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. When packed in pretty boxes, they also make great gifts, tied up with a festive ribbon.
|Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutesYield: About 24 cookies|
Nutritional Information Table
Varieties and Versions of Cherry Butter Cookies
Over the years, different versions of this recipe have been made. In some versions, maraschino cherries are used. In others, they’re replaced with sour cherries, and a little extra almond extract is added.
- Cherry Vanilla Butter Cookies: These cookies have a cherry on the inside and vanilla buttercream outside. They are then dipped in chocolate to keep them from melting all over your fingers when you eat them.
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies: These are made with chocolate chips and bits of dried cherries. The cherry flavor pops in contrast to the rich chocolate flavor.
- Black Forest Cake Cookies: These cookies are inspired by the classic German dessert, black forest cake. They have a chocolate cookie base, are filled with cherry preserves, and then topped with chocolate and whipped cream.
- Cherry Butter Cookies: These cookies are rolled in powdered sugar, and then cherry pie filling is poured over the top before baking. The heat melts the preserves and creates a sweet, gooey topping that tops this amazing version of cherry butter cookies.
You can make these recipes using different types of cherries and nuts and mix and match the different flavors until you have something that tastes just right for your taste buds.
No matter what version of Italian butter cookies with a cherry in the middle you make, they are sure to be a hit with your friends and family!
How Long do Butter Cookies Last?
Butter cookies will last for about seven days when stored in an airtight container. They can also be frozen for up to two months. However, if they are not kept in a dry environment, they will become stale and lose their texture.
Where Did Italian Butter Cookies with a Cherry in the Middle Originate?
Italian cherry butter cookies have been around for at least 100 years. Some people believe they originate from the Alps of northern Italy, but others say they are a variation of traditional German Christmas cookie recipes.
The important thing to remember is that this recipe can be adapted with different flavors and textures by using different dried fruits or nuts. You can even make colorful cookies using chopped fruit, sprinkles, or other festive toppings.
As you can see, butter cookies are a versatile and delicious dessert that can be enjoyed all year round. There are endless possibilities for flavor combinations and toppings. So, get creative and have some fun with it! Who knows, maybe you’ll invent something new!
Like this recipe? Then you’ll love the hundreds of other recipes available on the website, including easy and delicious cookies like these. Check them out today.
Community of passionate writers and content creators who share a love for Italian heritage, culture, travel, food, and the Italian-American community. Our mission is to celebrate Italy’s rich history and traditions and connect with others who share the same passion.